Here is the big picture when it comes to privacy on my site:
- I never rent or sell personally identifying information to anybody. By personally identifying information, I mean names, email addresses, IP addresses, information on the devices with which users access the site, or credit card payment and billing address information.
- Likewise, I never disclose personally identifying information to anybody unless legally required to do so.
- I have access to some of this personally identifying information. I detail below what this data is, how it’s stored, and how and why we would access it.
- I work with Amazon and eBay, when you click on those links and go to those sites, you are subject to their privacy policies.
To get into more detail:
IInformation I directly control. This site is hosted on a server that is in turn hosted by TigerTech.net, and I have administrative access to that server. Like virtually all web servers, mine keeps a server log recording every visit to my website. If you visit my site, my server records the IP address of your device along with its user agent, which describes certain technical details about your device, including your operating system and browser. This information is used for security and troubleshooting purposes, and is discarded after 28 days.
All the public-facing content on NeverJetHot.com is created and formatted using WordPress software. WordPress stores all its data in a SQL database; for us, that data is stored on my server with Tiger Tech, not with WordPress.com or any other third party. When you leave a comment on my site, you are inputting some information into that database:
- The contents of your comment and (if you choose to include them) a display name and URL, which are immediately made public; and
- The IP address of your device and (if you choose to include it) an email address, which are never made public, but which I and other site admins can access.
I may use any email addresses given as part of a comment post to contact commenters about technical or other concerns. IP and email addresses may also be used to identify and block users who are behaving abusively.
This information is stored in the WordPress database indefinitely, even if you cancel your paid subscription. Please email me at email@example.com if you would like your user account and the information associated with it permanently deleted from the database.
Actual payment processing is handled by Stripe (see below for more), and no credit card numbers are ever stored in any database or server under my control. No site admin other than myself can access any data about user credit cards beyond what’s outlined above; the data I can access is outlined in the section on payments below.
Data collected via third parties. I use a number of third parties for several purposes, and all of these collect data to one extent or another. I’ve broken them down by category here, explained what kinds of the data that they collect that I have access to, and provided links where you can find out more about their policies. Any data described below is accessible only to me, not to other site admins.
I use both session cookies and persistent cookies on the site. The session cookies keep track of you while you navigate the site; the persistent cookies enable the site to recognize you when you revisit.
Session cookies will be deleted from your computer when you close your browser. Persistent cookies may remain stored on your computer until deleted, or until they reach a specified expiry date. Any cookie can be deleted whenever you choose to delete it. Find out more about how to delete cookies from your browser.